Antenatal Breastfeeding Preparation Class
Increasingly, we hear and read that breastfeeding is natural; the biological norm. And, yes, it absolutely is! But while the majority of mothers initiate breastfeeding, far too many are unable to sustain their breastfeeding relationship long enough to meet their own breastfeeding goals. Why is that and how can we make breastfeeding a happier and easier experience for mums & babies?
Unfortunately, In Ireland, we have lost two generations of breastfeeders. In countries where breastfeeding is the norm and breastfeeding rates are high, mothers-to-be will have been surrounded by breastfeeding since their own birth. Their mothers will have breastfed, their sisters, aunts, friends. etc. This type of support can make all the difference to a breastfeeding family's journey.
Breastfeeding is a learned skill and, just like learning to walk or to ride a bicycle, it takes time. In the absence of a strong culture of breastfeeding. many mothers in Ireland learn to breastfeed by attending antenatal breastfeeding preparation classes, by reading books and joining breastfeeding support groups.
The Lactation.ie Breastfeeding Preparation Class is especially helpful for parents-to-be who are unable to attend the breastfeeding portion of the Free Antenatal Class offered by UHG Maternity or who would like to avail of a more comprehensive class. See '5 Signs You Have a Good Breastfeeding Class'.
For a flavour of what Galway mums and health professionals have been saying about the Lactation.ie Breastfeeding Preparation Class and my other services, please see here
The comprehensive 3 .5 hour breastfeeding preparation class aims to give you a better insight into the kinds of interventions and misconceptions that can make breastfeeding more difficult (so that you can avoid them) and the skills and practices that will support you in having the breastfeeding experience that you hope for.
Because the support of partners, grandparents and others greatly influences breastfeeding, please invite and encourage your ‘breastfeeding champion’ (the person that will be there to support you in the early days and weeks following the birth of your baby) to attend the class with you. The class fee includes one free place for your partner/ support person.
Classes cover all the basics and include lots of practical tips and skills, delivered in an interactive and fun way.
To ensure that there is adequate time for discussion and to answer the concerns of the attendees, class sizes are limited. For this reason, it is essential to pre-register early.
- Group Antenatal Breastfeeding Preparation Class at Clayton Hotel, Galway - €90*
- Private 1:1 Antenatal Breastfeeding Preparation Class at my clinic in Salthill - €120
- Private 1:1 Antenatal Breastfeeding Preparation Class in your own home - Please contact me to check availability/fee
* I require a minimum of 5 attendees to proceed with a group class.
Topics covered in the class include:
- How birth affects breastfeeding
- Normal newborn behaviour, cues and reflexes
- Normal new mom emotions
- Demystifying “the perfect latch”
- Breastfeeding without pain
- How your body makes milk
- Feeding patterns in the early days & weeks
- Common misconceptions and 'boobie traps'
- Avoiding difficulties & finding solutions
- Tools & gadgets - what's useful and what's not
- Breast pumps & expressing
- Where to find support & information
- Your questions & concerns